Olwethu Ngcobo is an entrepreneur, organic skincare formulator, photographer, urban farmer and environmental protector from Worcester
I have my own business, Lola&Co Organics, where we sell organic skincare products that we formulate using our hands and indigenous ingredients.
We make our products in small batches using organic fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, butters, oils and Hydrosols.
I love all things natural and DIY. My business started when I was dealing with skin break outs and then I started making my own skincare products at home.
Lola and co Organics is for consumers who are environmentally aware and want to know where their skincare ingredients come from. It’s for people with sensitive skin and who want to have that spa treatment in the comfort of their home.
I also teach sustainable living classes for those who want to grow their food and at community schools to educate young children about how our food grows and gets to our tables.
I was born and raised in Worcester and then moved to Cape Town. We were always outdoors and surrounded by nature so it was like going back to my childhood. We had a garden at our gran’s and me and my cousins had to look after it; it was a chore then but now I understand it.
My gran always taught us to be self-sufficient but we never understood her as we thought we had everything but she was teaching us to create something from scratch.
My inspiration has been people who use what they have and make the best of it! Simple ingredients create the best formulas. I love learning by sharing only skills and vice versa.
Olwethu’s five favourite green spaces
- Any hiking spot: That’s where I get my free workout and meditation.
- Zero-waste stores: They have everything you need at a good price and use your own containers.
- Farmers markets: You can get your fresh produce straight from the source.
- Small-scale farms: You can get educated about how to grow your food and be able to be self-sufficient.
- Library: They have all the books you need to educate yourself and start a new path, and it’s all free. GRZA
Green Route ZA is the A to Z of eco-conscious living